The nip of fall in the air today brought to mind these delectable cookies! A quick scan of the pantry to check for some canned pumpkin (yep!) and, before long……
These cookies are soft, fluffy and cake-like, with a mild “pumpkin pie” flavor.
FROSTED PUMPKIN COOKIES
1 cup sugar
1 egg (room temp.)
2 cups flour
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (room temp.)
*1/3 tsp. ground cloves
*1/2 tsp. nutmeg
*1/2 tsp. ginger
*1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
*(I’ve sometimes substituted 2 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice and the cookies are just as tasty!)
1. Mix sugar and egg.
2. Add pumpkin and butter. Beat well.
3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, spices and salt. Add baking powder and baking soda.
4. Combine dry ingredients with pumpkin mixture and mix until well blended and a soft dough is formed.
5. Drop by rounded heaping tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheet (about 2″ apart) and bake at 350 for approx. 12 minutes, or until completely set.
6. Cool cookies on rack, and dip tops of cookies into frosting.
1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Mix all ingredients until smooth. Add additional milk, one tsp. at a time, until desired consistency. Note: An alternate frosting option is to mix 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar with 2 tablespoons (+/-) orange juice until smooth.
Hopefully, the nip of fall in the air tomorrow will bring to mind “spin” class at the gym.