As I was thumbing through some old recipes recently, I came across this recipe that a friend had shared many years ago. I sort of gasped when I looked at the ingredients (one package cream cheese, 1/2 lb. butter, 4 eggs…), but that certainly didn’t stop me from making it! My father-in-law’s all-time favorite ice cream flavor is cherry vanilla, so there was no better cake to offer him during his recent visit. And he LOVED it!
CHERRY VANILLA GLAZED POUND CAKE
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 1 8- oz . package softened cream cheese
- 4 eggs , room temp.
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract OR 1 tsp. vanilla and 1 tsp. almond extract...which is what I used.
- 1 cup maraschino cherries , drained and halved (SAVE THE JUICE!)
- A few heaping tablespoons flour for dredging the cherries
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon (+/-) reserved cherry juice
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 tsp . vanilla or almond extract (my choice)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt pan or a tube pan. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set mixture aside.
Cream together butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and mix until blended. Stir in extracts. Add flour mixture and mix on low speed just until all flour is well-blended. Dredge cherries in flour and gently fold into batter.
Pour into prepared pan and bake for approx. 1 hour 15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing, and place on wire rack to cool completely.
Blend all ingredients and spoon over top of cooled cake. (If icing is too thick, thin with additional cherry juice)
This cake is moist, dense and firm with a tender, buttery crumb, and the maraschino cherries add that burst of deliciousness that makes
you me cut a second slice.
And possibly a third…